ULS Not Dead! (Read 906 times)
CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

ULS Not Dead!
08.03.07 at 12:10:25
Print Post  
Just to let you all know this section (and ULS) is not dead, I just have not had time to flesh it out a bit Smiley

Mark is as "Coming Soon!" Smiley

"With only one button, even drooling fucktards like Kizza can play our game!"

IP Logged

karlm
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Re: ULS Not Dead!
Reply #1 - 09.03.07 at 04:17:46
Print Post  
Just wondering if it has been made 030 friendly yet!?

Roll Eyes

karlm

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #2 - 09.03.07 at 08:35:19
Print Post  
030 friendly isnt a big issue. The probem with ULS and the Falcon is actually HDDriver!

As most falcons have large (for atari standards) hard drives containing many many partitions, HDDrivers buffer sizes become insanely big.  And HDDriver being such a close guarded secret by its author for no apparent reason, gives us no access to its structures to disable caches. 

Hell you cant even turn them off - it FORCES you to have some.

Its a long standing debate with us at D-Bug to either struggle on in the face of crappy drivers, or dump HDDriver support and go with something like, eg, ICDTools. (20k footprint... much nicer)

Anyway, thats the state of play. Personally i'd like Uwe Mentalman to open source the damn thing (after all who buys atari software 20 years on?) for the community and give us access to its data structures to disable the caches by a system call.  Won't happen tho, he's far too protective.

CJ

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #3 - 09.03.07 at 08:50:14
Print Post  
Like CJ says, HDDriver support is a tough call, because we know most of you are using the damend thing, so it'd be like we isolated ourselves out of the user base.... sigh...

Another idea would be to gut an already open source driver (e.g. Cecile) and hack our own hard disk dma loader, but after the first user that reports a broken partition I guess we won't be too happy about it Smiley

Lastly, given that we have sufficient mem, we could try using the 030's MMU to create a mem space that only the game (but not the OS + driver) will have access to, therefore no memory corruption. But this is all theoretical stuff, we need to learn some stuff about the MMU first to be confident. Anyway it sounds like a good idea for patching in general (I am getting tired making linkfiles all the time Wink )
« Last Edit: 09.03.07 at 08:51:25 by ggn »  

IP Logged

jens
RoMzkiddiEz

High on the wire

Reply #4 - 23.04.07 at 11:57:30
Print Post  
CJ wrote on 09.03.07 at 08:35:19:
Personally i'd like Uwe Mentalman to open source the damn thing (after all who buys atari software 20 years on?) for the community and give us access to its data structures to disable the caches by a system call.

I bought it, and I know lots of others who still buy it.
It's a great piece of software for anyone who wants to access large drives.
It's a pity he does not answer to your problems, but else he is one of the last guys to give good support for his product beside Anodyne.

I do think it's a different thing with MagiC, NVDI and so on, as nothing is done to them anymore...

Greetings, Jens
IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

ULS Not Dead!
Reply #5 - 30.12.08 at 11:09:49
Print Post  
This Topic was moved here from ULS Latest Build [move by] CJ.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top