Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Shadow of the Beast - your experienes! (Read 744 times)
ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Shadow of the Beast - your experienes!
12.09.08 at 17:04:04
Print Post  
Well, I think that it's not only me that has over the years taken a look under the hood of this game. I feel I only chopped off the tip of the iceberg with my findings, most notably:

a) 68030 incompatibility due to crap use of traps
b) Glitches on Falcon because he sets ST-low resolution in every raster change (lol!)

Anyone else ever saw the code and went "WTF?"? Please share your findings here, it should be a laugh Smiley

IP Logged

Dbug
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Re: Shadow of the Beast - your experienes!
Reply #1 - 29.03.09 at 12:03:57
Print Post  
I remember that you can speed up the code by a significant percentage by removing the protection related code.

Instead of simply drawing in a back-buffer and swapping the screen address, the code actually draws in a temporary buffer, and then draw it on the back-buffer. When the protection triggers, the copy is reversed so you have the screen mirrored.

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #2 - 29.03.09 at 12:41:36
Print Post  
Dbug wrote on 29.03.09 at 12:03:57:
Instead of simply drawing in a back-buffer and swapping the screen address, the code actually draws in a temporary buffer, and then draw it on the back-buffer. When the protection triggers, the copy is reversed so you have the screen mirrored.

LOL. I read on another forum that he was pretty smug about performance and did everything possible to make it run on an ST. So maybe if I remove that bit of code it might run full frame on a TT (it's almost there atm Smiley)

IP Logged

Dbug
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #3 - 22.04.09 at 20:43:30
Print Post  
Here is what you can add to the game to make it better. I released the full source code of the Shadow of the beast menu (Phaleon Gigademo), which happens to have two soundchip musics made by FFT:

http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/public/atari/demos/next/phaleon-gigademo/...

Would be nice to finally have some music in this game Smiley

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #4 - 22.04.09 at 22:58:25
Print Post  
How about we release the patch loader source and all files and you add it ? Smiley

"With only one button, even drooling fucktards like Kizza can play our game!"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top