new TT user (Read 990 times)
c0ze
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

new TT user
16.12.10 at 17:31:41
Print Post  
hello there,
First of all, I would like to thank you for all your efforts, for all the patches, and this site to offer support for them.  Smiley
I'm new to the Atari world (mostly an Amiga user) I got hold of a TT, and would like to set it up with some games, however I havent had much luck so far ...

I have some questions as I dont get some of the things you guys take for granted here,

1 - Should I take it that all games which have 030 in the name should work for the TT too ?  Huh

2 - These single file patches, ought to work without anything else ? (no other game files ?) I wonder if they are just 'patches' meant to replace the game exe, or a big exe which includes all files ?

3 - what is the hardware referenced as 'Buggy Unsupported Hardware' ?

some info on my setup :

I am using a TT with 4 meg ST RAM and 32 meg TT RAM with a 4 gb IBM HDD on the internal SCSI, an unknown VME network card (which is not getting used due to no drivers) and a Hydra on the cartridge port (main means to get files from the PC). I am using the ICD driver (latest one, 6.22 ?)

I reduced the caches as low as I can (right now its like 21 Kb or something ?). My auto folder has stuff for Magic, Jinnee, some StiNG cpxs, MagxNet.

4 - I tried to get some games to work from the site of a certain person who shall not be named here, where also usage of bigdos was recommended. I take it it is not necessary ? (I removed it since ...)

As I said I dont get much luck getting games to run (lets say Rick030) The splash screen comes (with press any key message) I press any key and just get a black screen (same story with most games). I try booting with CTRL pressed on boot, (I take it this prevents stuff from auto folder getting executed), install devices (to see the partition where my games are) but stil no luck.

what shall I do ? If 030 denotes Falcon compatibility, is there a list which contains games known to work on TT ?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Re: new TT user
Reply #1 - 16.12.10 at 18:03:03
Print Post  
Hi there,

c0ze wrote on 16.12.10 at 17:31:41:
hello there,
First of all, I would like to thank you for all your efforts, for all the patches, and this site to offer support for them.  Smiley
I'm new to the Atari world (mostly an Amiga user) I got hold of a TT, and would like to set it up with some games, however I havent had much luck so far ...

I have some questions as I dont get some of the things you guys take for granted here,

1 - Should I take it that all games which have 030 in the name should work for the TT too ?  Huh

Not necessarily, I got a TT in may 2007 so everything released before that is hit'n'miss. Generally I found the TT quite compatible with the games I tried on it. As always, load as little auto folder programs and accessories as possible and make sure your hard driver's cache is set to minimum values. Also, use plain TOS, not MiNT or Magic or any replacement desktop. Generally, use a virgin system Smiley

2 - These single file patches, ought to work without anything else ? (no other game files ?) I wonder if they are just 'patches' meant to replace the game exe, or a big exe which includes all files ?

Yes, download, copy to machine and run. Each zip file from our patches page has all the relevant files.

3 - what is the hardware referenced as 'Buggy Unsupported Hardware' ?

Nothing you should worry about on your TT Smiley

some info on my setup :

I am using a TT with 4 meg ST RAM and 32 meg TT RAM with a 4 gb IBM HDD on the internal SCSI, an unknown VME network card (which is not getting used due to no drivers) and a Hydra on the cartridge port (main means to get files from the PC). I am using the ICD driver (latest one, 6.22 ?)

I reduced the caches as low as I can (right now its like 21 Kb or something ?). My auto folder has stuff for Magic, Jinnee, some StiNG cpxs, MagxNet.

As I say above, try not to load mint, jinnee, sting, magnet.

4 - I tried to get some games to work from the site of a certain person who shall not be named here, where also usage of bigdos was recommended. I take it it is not necessary ? (I removed it since ...)

For out stuff? Absolutely not.

As I said I dont get much luck getting games to run (lets say Rick030) The splash screen comes (with press any key message) I press any key and just get a black screen (same story with most games). I try booting with CTRL pressed on boot, (I take it this prevents stuff from auto folder getting executed), install devices (to see the partition where my games are) but stil no luck.

what shall I do ? If 030 denotes Falcon compatibility, is there a list which contains games known to work on TT ?  Roll Eyes

I think that you need to press a different key combo for ICD to bypass everything.

In any case, I'll try a few old games like rick 1/2 and will see if they work (memory tells me that they did), and will post back when I can.

I would say that newer fixes should have better compatibility with the TT, especially after we released ULSv3, which is about late 2008.

Don't lose hope, we'll get you sorted out!

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #2 - 18.12.10 at 16:34:36
Print Post  
BTW I tried Rick Dangerous 1 and 2 on the TT - the first one works out of the box here, but the 2nd has a slight problem that's due to the TT's MMU, I fixed it on the spot.

My TT has TOS 3.06de, what's your version?

Oh yeah, now that I remembered it, try running rick1 from a floppy with a completely clean boot (even bypass the hard disk driver - holt alt after the memory test).

Let's get you to run rick1 properly and we'll work on fixing the rest then Smiley

IP Logged

c0ze
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #3 - 21.12.10 at 07:14:47
Print Post  
hello man !

thanks for checking out for me !
yup, I formatted a floppy drive, put the rick030 into it, booted with ctrl (no icd loaded) and the game runs just fine from floppy ! yay !

so I need to check with the icd settings I guess ? though I'm not sure what I could do for it to take less ram ?  Undecided

btw, my tt was originally german, but I burned uk roms to it, kindly provided on this page. version 3.06

by the way, buggy unsupported hardware means Buggy Unsupported Hardware by any chance ? I got one of them too, to go with a STe setup I want to do in the future. it's not a good choice ?  Roll Eyes

edit : bingo at ultrasatan  Grin
« Last Edit: 21.12.10 at 07:15:41 by c0ze »  

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #4 - 21.12.10 at 17:48:46
Print Post  
c0ze wrote on 21.12.10 at 07:14:47:
hello man !

thanks for checking out for me !
yup, I formatted a floppy drive, put the rick030 into it, booted with ctrl (no icd loaded) and the game runs just fine from floppy ! yay !

so I need to check with the icd settings I guess ? though I'm not sure what I could do for it to take less ram ?  Undecided[/url]

Actually I had another idea - download the free demo version of hddriver from http://seimet.de/atari/files/hddriver83_demo.zip. Put it in a floppy disk, boot with alt (so ICD will be skipped) and load hddriver.prg from floppy. The hard disks should become available then (you can try this by pressing alt+c on the desktop - it'll open your C: partition). Try running rick 1 from your hard drive then. It might be an ICD problem. I'll see if I can do the opposite, i.e. run icd from floppy and run rick on my tt..

[quote author=313D2837520 link=1292520701/3#3 date=1292915687]btw, my tt was originally german, but I burned uk roms to it, kindly provided on this page. version 3.06

Still got a 3.06de - it's hell for me!

c0ze wrote on 21.12.10 at 07:14:47:
by the way, buggy unsupported hardware means Buggy Unsupported Hardware by any chance ? I got one of them too, to go with a STe setup I want to do in the future. it's not a good choice ?  Roll Eyes

edit : bingo at Buggy Unsupported Hardware  Grin

Nope, we just don't have one and we have had some weird reports for it, but we can't do anything about it. It might work ok for you though.....

IP Logged

c0ze
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #5 - 23.12.10 at 05:43:37
Print Post  
thank you man, I'll try the hddriver floppy idea !
actually the best solution is probably to register hddriver and avoid all the hassle. however at 45 euros, it is a little bit too rich for my blood. I like supporting retro software, I am a registered user of whdload, (which was worth every euro I spent on it) but for hddriver I am not so sure. I'm sure uwe made lots of effort making that software, but it would be nicer if he presented it in a price range which is justifiable for a hobby expenditure ...

anyway, btw, I have some spare roms lying around leftovers from my de to uk upgrade. If you like I can burn a uk 3.06 rom for you ! it will take me a while (probably after new year), if you like, just give me your address and I'll send them your way when I make them ready  Smiley

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #6 - 23.12.10 at 11:04:53
Print Post  
Maybe I should add a registration option to ULS3 Smiley

"With only one button, even drooling fucktards like Kizza can play our game!"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1