ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Automation #044
29.04.12 at 18:33:10
Print Post  
http://d-bug.mooo.com/automenus.php?s=44&e=44

Desolator by US Gold, Crack by Was (Not Was)

SDI by Activision, Crack by Was (Not Was)

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Re: Automation #044
Reply #1 - 04.05.12 at 15:17:56
Print Post  
Desolator

1986? Damn, that's a quite early game for the ST then. I was ready to give it a proper bashing but I'll be more gentle (not very gentle, but still more than usual).

Now then, this is a vertical scrolling beat'em'up. And hmmmm not much more to say about the game. I mean, you do get to beat to death lots of people, and doors, and flashing pictures on the wall. And pick up power ups. And pick up bonuses. There's lots of nice detailed animated sprites and backdrops and it runs at an acceptable frame rate (and given the release year, it's a damn miracle it runs that fast!).

But the problem is, I couldn't figure out what I was playing or was happening in there. It took me a few moments to actually find my sprite (and indeed this happens each and every time I got respawned after losing a life). And that's because even at the game start there are about 6 sprites running around at random, kicking, punching, doing flips, what have you. Nobody seems to be directly coming at the main sprite, so it's really confusing. Punching someone makes him disappear in a cloud of dust - woo! Picking up an item or beating down a door/wall/etc makes the game pause for a second or so while it redraws the screen. Even coming near to an enemy, never mind if he attacks you or not, makes your energy bar sap in a really alarming rate. All of the above translates to "not very enjoyable game".

I could forgive a lot about this game but in the end it's not really fun to play it and feels more like something that nobody had any idea what to do to make it playable and instead threw in randomness to make up for it. Which makes it a mediocre game sadly.

auto044_002.png ( 12 KB | Downloads )
auto044_002.png

IP Logged

MitchFrenzal
Distributor

D-BUGer

Reply #2 - 13.05.12 at 17:18:34
Print Post  
The bad thing is, The original arcade version was alright. :/

IP Logged

sn00py
Distributor

Sourcerer

Reply #3 - 22.05.12 at 20:26:42
Print Post  
MitchFrenzal wrote on 13.05.12 at 17:18:34:
The bad thing is, The original arcade version was alright. :/

Is there an arcade ROM anywhere ? I wasn't able to locate one yet....

IP Logged

aktiv8
Distributor

D-BUGer

Reply #4 - 22.05.12 at 20:44:29
Print Post  
sn00py wrote on 22.05.12 at 20:26:42:
Is there an arcade ROM anywhere ? I wasn't able to locate one yet....

Search for the Japanese title for it Kyros No Yakata - you should find it easy enough then (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Kyros+No+Yakata)

IP Logged

sn00py
Distributor

Sourcerer

Reply #5 - 22.05.12 at 21:16:24
Print Post  
muchos gracias aktiv8

IP Logged

Jake-Depression
Distributor

D-BUGer

Reply #6 - 29.05.12 at 16:26:25
Print Post  
SDI - Sega (Finnish)

Aikoinaan eräs suosikkipeleistäni. Introssa asiallinen samplattu musiikki. Kentän vieritys tapahtuu oikealle ja tehtäväsi on tuhota ohjukset, vihollisalukset ja satelliitit räiskimällä ihan hemmetisti. Kätevä tekniikka on käyttää hiirtä ja joystickiä yhtäaikaa pelatessa (toisella voi ohjata alusta ja toisella aseen tähtäintä).  Jollet saa kaikkea tuhottua, tulee tämän jälkeen kenttä, jossa puolustautumistaistelussa itse sijoitut kentän alalaitaan ja suojelet pikkualuksellasi emoalusta hyökkääjiltä ampumalla jälleen ihan hemmetisti. Pelin musiikit ovat ihan hyvin peliin istuvia.

IP Logged

sn00py
Distributor

Sourcerer

Reply #7 - 29.05.12 at 21:35:03
Print Post  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_7yuV6UTkY

Not seen SDI before, and still haven't played it! yet!

From footage of Atari and Amiga on youtube the game appears to be a Missile Command inspired side-scrolling shooter, it does feature single screen levels ala Mcom. Presentation is good, the graphics do what is intended and it scrolls very smoothly. The gameplay is simple, but as it hails from a SEGA arcade machine, thats not to be sniffed at! Music is 1000x better on the ST version! and you get shot noises, I guess a MOD fix + keeping the ST shot sound would be nice? Cheesy

I'll d/l the ROM and the ST version!  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top