IP Logged

aktiv8
Distributor

D-BUGer

Re: Automation #048
Reply #1 - 05.05.12 at 10:29:05
Print Post  
ELF

Not to be confused with the Ocean game of the early 90's this Elf is an abomination!  What could have been something half decent is crippled by a poor control system, whihc although adds a challenge is just not needed in the game!  Press right and he'll keep moving right, press longer and he'll run - though good luck jumping when your eyes catch up with the jerky scrolling.

Graphics are unpolished and unrefined, the music and sfx could be much better and gameplay is difficult and frustrating mostly due to the control scheme.

This game to me is the classic load once, think twice before loading ever again....  Shame  Sad

A_048_002.bmp ( 187 KB | Downloads )
A_048_002.bmp

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Re: Automation #048
Reply #2 - 05.05.12 at 12:00:59
Print Post  
Captain Fizz

I've seen an ad for this game even before I had an ST (for the record, we bought an Atari ST User instead of Atari User) and it had this huge version of the cover box painting: Two men holding big guns in space suits, one looking left, the other right, explosions all round, space ships, woooooooot! This game's going to be OSSOM! It also had some text describing it as the best thing since sliced bread, it made you want to join in the action immediately and start blasting alien scum!

(it also had some tiny screenshots of the game which you couldn't really understand what the game was about!)

I never did play this game up to a few years ago, so I was always curious to see what kind of awesomeness I was missing all this time. So I booted it up to be confronted with...

...a Gauntlet clone. Errr, yay?

Anyhoo, it's not exactly Gauntlet, since it's split screen, so each player can wander around the level independently, which is of course a good thing. Then again, each player's view screen is rather small so you don't have much room to maneuver, which is bad. Then again the players move in 16 pixel steps, which makes them a bit uncontrollable, which is also bad. Oddly enough, the enemies move in 1 pixel steps. There's also a lot of sprite flickering, which is bad. And no diagonal movement or firing, again bad. The level instead of scrolling is screen flipping - dunno if that's good or bad, the level design is made for flip screen which is ok. The levels are scattered with doors that open only when you pick up the right keycard, and there's more than one keycard of the same shape in the level, which probably means that each player will have to find keycards for him/herself, which can't be bad.

Weighing the pros and cons, I'm leaning towards that this is a good game and I think that a 2-player session will be even better. So, after the initial disappointment, I'm left with positive vibes with this game. It's astonishing that sometimes even Psygnosis/Psyclapse actually made playable games instead of the crap they used to release Smiley.

« Last Edit: 05.05.12 at 12:01:14 by ggn »  

auto048_001.png ( 24 KB | Downloads )
auto048_001.png
auto048_002.png ( 6 KB | Downloads )
auto048_002.png

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top