ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

For better results...
08.05.07 at 11:59:42
Print Post  
Ok, here's what our Falcon/MSTE setups look like when we run the patched games:

• Almost nothing on the AUTO folder. Things like NVDI and generally TSRs that install themselves to memory (mouse accelerators, TOS fixes, etc) are best avoided because they are more than likely to get overwritten by game data.
  • As per above, almost no ACC/CPX modules loaded. Personally I only load XCONTROL with only 2 CPX modules (the general which I use to make the internal speaker shut up Smiley and another which I don't remember what it does atm)
  • As small hard drive cache as possible. HDDRIVER tends to suck loads of memory so you'd better play around with cache settings if you get errors on any game. Also see this thread for tips on using the lowest possible cache (I get about 163kb for a 60gb hard disk that has 13 or 14 partitions Smiley)

Now, as to what games are more likely to crash.... Well, our first attempts are surely more likely to do this as we were still getting the hang of the machine. I'd say that after around Speedball 2 we got a much cleaner and robust init system, so this means the games patched prior to that are more fragile. (let's not discuss blood money Tongue)

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Re: For better results...
Reply #1 - 08.05.07 at 17:58:57
Print Post  
I'd agree with the above.

I intend to (at some point... my life is 'busy' at the moment) re-issue all the early Falcon patches from the menus (generally the ones with text only loaders) in the monthly Fixpacks as they really are quite crude - Yes, especially Blood Money and Arctic Moves, which are VERY dirty hacks to get working on the Falcon as they were the first few to be done.

As for wasting memory on an acc to disable the internal speaker... I ripped the speaker out of the case and saved myself some memory Smiley   Besides, that's where my HD sits now hehe

"With only one button, even drooling fucktards like Kizza can play our game!"

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Re: For better results...
Reply #2 - 08.05.07 at 18:06:09
Print Post  
CJ wrote on 08.05.07 at 17:58:57:
As for wasting memory on an acc to disable the internal speaker... I ripped the speaker out of the case and saved myself some memory Smiley   Besides, that's where my HD sits now hehe

Well...

a) This setup's working 100% so far, so why bother changing it?
b) I have written a small prog to kill the internal speaker but see (a)
c) I actually have a caddy for the hdd Wink. Oh, and I've ripped the internal speaker too Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top