10 Entering hiatus (Read 4648 times)
CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Entering hiatus
17.04.09 at 14:15:16
Print Post  
No more requests please... my ears are deaf.

I've loaded everything I've completed into the news page and it will churn them out for a while, but when they stop - thats it.

To take the time and work with someone to release an unreleased game (and TOS fix it) and get no feedback at all is one thing.... but when some ignorant bastard then takes that version and puts it on their website with absolutely no mention of where it came from... thats the straw that breaks the camel's back.

So, go ahead.. feel free to praise him for his amazing work. I'm sure you all will anyway.

And before some smart-arse-does-nothing-for-the-community type (box scanning does not provide something for the community) chimes in with "isn't that what you did with XJ220?" you could tell where it originated from our write up - the fact that they proclaim themselves the ultimate ST site, but their database is pathetically small for the time they have spent on it (and also inaccurate) doesn't seem to bother their tiny little minds. Also our XJ was done from the "originals" and not from someone else's version who we then didnt credit. The title should have been left in the realm of screenshots. Oberje was doing a great job, yes, but its so unfinished that it should have stayed that way. How much pressure was he put under to get it for them?

Our webhosts (streamline.net - I would utterly recommend everyone to never deal with them) have given us nothing but greif over the "archives" despite telling us we can host them there... and despite us having a business class "unlimited" account - this really kills motivation as we've had over 130gb of data that we uploaded removed.

All in all, it's becoming too much of a "chore" and not enough "fun".

So, I hope you've enjoyed what I've patched up so far (I certainly hope you agree that I mainly did the good games first) and I hope you enjoy the final few releases for now.

I'll "maintain" ULS if anyone finds any bugs.

Sayonara.

CJ.
« Last Edit: 22.04.09 at 20:17:38 by ggn »  

"With only one button, even drooling fucktards like Kizza can play our game!"

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Re: The wish list thread
Reply #1 - 18.04.09 at 03:06:36
Print Post  
And then you accidentally find something like this:

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/7150/mfalcon.htm

"Yes, no problem on putting a Falcon version on the site. Those old (and they must be now) Atari fans deserve all of the support that they can get." - Mr Bruce (Novagen) Jordan, RIP.

Which puts a smile on your face and makes it all somehow seem worthwhile.

I think I need a long break. 6 months of constant releases takes it toll.
« Last Edit: 18.04.09 at 03:07:45 by CJ »  

IP Logged

CiH
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #2 - 19.04.09 at 10:14:21
Print Post  
Hello CJ,

You *are* appreciated, just that people are shite at communicating the fact. It's always been a problem and the effort to tangible appreciation ratio's have always been piss-poor. This goes right back to when people were expecting to make a living from shareware and were underwhelmed by the response.

Speaking as a long-term member of the scene (Diskmag editor, main contributor and lame fake demo maker) I'm having a similar problem of motivation much of the time myself. You may be aware of the diskzine called "Alive", and you may be aware that the last issue was a long time ago. Well I've got a load of stuff written and waiting for the next issue, which should have been released at Evoke *last* year! It doesn't help that the main editor seems to have gone ÁWOL without a word of warning or explanation. Still, I'll see if he turns up at Outline, and if not, start to make contingency plans  Roll Eyes

In fact, there seems to be a general problem even with people replying to simple emails, and this isn't just an Atariscene thing. I sent off three to different people on different subjects but no replies within the last 7 days. Maybe if it's not on Facebook or Tw(a)tter, it doesn't exist, I dunno. There are no simple answers.

I think a break might be a good idea, but don't give up. If you do, then *censored* has won!

And I don't think you want that!  Wink

Take care,

Chris.

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #3 - 19.04.09 at 10:17:00
Print Post  
I'm aware of Alive - my article is now 2.5 years overdue.

It's not so much the feedback, as the overall attitude.
« Last Edit: 19.04.09 at 10:18:26 by CJ »  

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #4 - 22.04.09 at 13:11:55
Print Post  
It's the little motivational things that really help...

This, taken from someone's site.

----------------------------------

Unpublished game by Jamie Woodhouse. Still better than ST version of Uridium !

Some Atari 'magician' guy complained about not crediting him and his work in resurrecting this game. More here.

----------------------

clicking "here" results in:

----------------------

So, what CJ did to make this game (Sideways prototype) more usable ? He added ULS (so called Universal Loading System) to ensure work from hard disks, higher TOS versions, on Falcon. The result: need for 1MB RAM. while game can run fine with 512KB. But enough of technical details.
CJ wants credits, so here are they: I credit CJ and D-Bug for underestimating and humiliating other's work, programs, HW solutions, articles, posts in forum etc. They did it many times. Examples: writing nonsenses and frightening comments (about destroying whole partitions etc.) about program in which people invested hunderts and hunderts hours of hard work, testings, communication with people, correcting some bugs, improving program by suggestions etc... Other example: CJ wrote 'priceless stupidity' about new solution for gaming from hard disks on Ataris with little RAM. I could here add at least 2 dozens of other examples, but it is enough. Visit their forum to read more idiotism and spitting.
On the other side, all what they do is : 'magic', 'state of art' and similar. But what they really did and do ? Only game adaptations and some demos (intros). So called ULS is not universal, and will never be. Something like that is simple not possible in real World. Name is just misleading, and Atari people may have irreal expectations from. But we see results already. So, I credit CJ, D-Bug for beeing self-conceited, not listening to other's opinion ones.
Then, CJ complains about lack of (positive) feedback, not crediting him and crew... So, I took chance, and credited him. This is best credit what I can do. Thanx for your time, dear reader. End of ranting Smiley PP

---------------------------

I'm not even going to bother wasting time to reply to that.

I love Atari - I always have, and I always will. I'll almost certainly keep pottering around with them for years to come, but the community is rotting away beneath our feet.. less and less is getting put back in....  and, frankly, I'm happy to not release anything again if this is the level of reception it gets.

So head on over to Hungary and leave all your messages of goodwill and support there.

IP Logged

cb_
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #5 - 22.04.09 at 16:21:33
Print Post  
The guy just got banned from Atari Forum:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16388

IP Logged

simonsunnyboy
Distributor

Rockabilly rulez!

Reply #6 - 22.04.09 at 18:14:16
Print Post  
Before you become too excited, 7days only :-\

Rock'n'Roll is the thing - Jerry Lee is the king!

Paradize Website: http://paradize.atari.org/
ST Offline Tournament: http://www.npoi.de/stot/
WWWGTalkICQ  
IP Logged

robert2098
RoMzkiddiEz

Atari Lover

Re: Entering hiatus
Reply #7 - 25.04.09 at 07:40:10
Print Post  
CJ, I'm sad to hear you lost your motivation to do any more patches. I only want to let you know, your (and other D-Bug members) work is appreciated. It is no problem for me that you take a break. You guys have been churning out patches faster than I can play them and I have still many on my SatanDisk to check out.

Please, don't let the actions of a few trolls, influence your great patching work.

Robert

Better 8 hours at work than no sleep at all.
IP Logged

simonsunnyboy
Distributor

Rockabilly rulez!

Reply #8 - 25.04.09 at 16:17:24
Print Post  

Rock'n'Roll is the thing - Jerry Lee is the king!

Paradize Website: http://paradize.atari.org/
ST Offline Tournament: http://www.npoi.de/stot/
WWWGTalkICQ  
IP Logged

Muphex
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #9 - 25.04.09 at 16:39:06
Print Post  
Well just to say that your efforts are appreciated. Have to admit to being one of those that doesn't do anything for the community only because I am not sure what I could do not being a coder etc, just a nostalgic user of the machines. I do't download and play everything simply because not everything is of interest to me, or i played it years ago and realised it wasn't to my tatses.

However I think it would be a great loss to the scene were you guys to leave it. Who knows I might even have a go at learning some stuff to keep ULS releases going if that's possible, I really don't know how much I need to know to get them working as a novice. Anyway take a break guys and then decide what you want to do. Oh and by the way if you did decide to leave the scene or the website is going to go down would it be possible to put up an archive of the patches so they could be preserved elsewhere, don't mind leaching them individually though if needs be Smiley

IP Logged

Saviour
Distributor

/|\ ATARI Freak

Reply #10 - 25.04.09 at 18:02:09
Print Post  
robert2098 wrote on 25.04.09 at 07:40:10:
CJ, I'm sad to hear you lost your motivation to do any more patches. I only want to let you know, your (and other D-Bug members) work is appreciated. It is no problem for me that you take a break. You guys have been churning out patches faster than I can play them and I have still many on my SatanDisk to check out.

Please, don't let the actions of a few trolls, influence your great patching work.

Robert

Fully agree here!
Sad to see you lost motivation, but i really can understand it if you need a break after these tons of patches and new ULS in this short time.

I really appreciate your work and it would be a sad day for the remaining Atari Community if you stop patching or having fun with Atari stuff.
I want to thank you guys especially for the patch of Wings Of Death and the choosable Amiga Soundtrack on Falcon. That really blew me away! Smiley

Take your time and i really hope that you someday can just laugh about ppl like PPerror instead of getting angry at him!

Have fun whatever you do and i wish you all the best for the future!
I am sure there will always be people that care and appreciate what you do!

Saviour

- /|\ ATARI Falcon030 with PhantomS - TOS 4.04 - 68882 FPU - 14 MB RAM - 800 MB internal IDE Harddisk - External CD-ROM - MagiC 6.2 - Jinnee 2.01 - NVDI 5.01 - HD Driver 8.13

IP Logged

Trev
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #11 - 27.04.09 at 04:00:27
Print Post  
Fair enough, your call, but to think that you are not appreciated isn't correct (at least not in my case).

If you've had a guts full for a bit, it's not as if you haven't been hard at work, so take some time off if you need to.

As for *censored* then... well...  least of your worries I think.  Hopefully see you back soon.  Cheesy

IP Logged

CiH
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #12 - 27.04.09 at 21:56:21
Print Post  
See CJ, people do like you!  Cool

IP Logged

MR BENN
Distributor

D-BUGer

Reply #13 - 01.05.09 at 20:49:59
Print Post  
Hi,very sorry to hear your decision but may i make a suggestion that you patch only when you wish to rather than completely stop.More a labour of love than factory automation.Your work would be sorely missed  Smiley
« Last Edit: 01.05.09 at 20:55:29 by MR BENN »  

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #14 - 05.05.09 at 01:04:00
Print Post  
ROFL

http://*censored*.07x.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6

and

http://*censored*.07x.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&p=7#p7

He's had "a few ideas" - all of which are in ULS.

• memory snapshots
  • switching TOS in and out
  • save/restore timers/MFP

Except he's going to make people solder things to their computers.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Way to go!!! Can't wait to see how much of ULS he steals and claims is his. Ironic as he called it useless.

See, you really don't need us to do anything - because along will come "good old *censored*" with his NotULS(tm) + some soldering and make everything work for you.
« Last Edit: 05.05.09 at 02:25:02 by CJ »  

IP Logged

Christos
Distributor
Reboot Member

D-BUGer

Reply #15 - 05.05.09 at 02:19:03
Print Post  
So that's HardULS. And it needs an On/OFF switch. So he should name it HardOFF.

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #16 - 05.05.09 at 02:33:39
Print Post  
Code
Select All
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;
;; Memory block move
;;
;; a0-source
;; a1-destination
;; d7-bytes to move
;;

block_move
	divu #48,d7
	swap.w d7
	move.w d7,-(a7)
	swap.w d7
	subq.w #1,d7			; itterations of 48 bytes
.mvloop	movem.l (a0)+,d0-6/a2-6
	movem.l d0-6/a2-6,(a1)
	lea 48(a1),a1
	dbra d7,.mvloop
	move.w (a7)+,d7			; overflow remainder
	beq.s .mdone
	subq.w #1,d7
.myloop	move.b (a0)+,(a1)+
	dbra d7,.myloop
.mdone	rts 

Is what his soldering "work" essentially does. Your call....

I know watching him develop this is going to cause laughter and fun for months to come.
« Last Edit: 05.05.09 at 02:34:39 by CJ »  

IP Logged

Christos
Distributor
Reboot Member

D-BUGer

Reply #17 - 05.05.09 at 02:36:37
Print Post  
Nope, the fun part will be the people who will praise this excellent new development on the atari. BTW does that mean that ULS will be incompatible with the modified atari?

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #18 - 05.05.09 at 02:38:45
Print Post  
Everything is incompatible with a *censored* mod Smiley But it's not his fault, it's yours. You soldered the wrong TOS into the wrong slot. You fool. It works for him!

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #19 - 05.05.09 at 02:41:05
Print Post  
BTW

Still waiting for GAC. And all of 3 games. It's great you know. It's the best. And I love playing Duke Nukem Forever as well.

IP Logged

Heavy Stylus
Playtester

D-BUG Fanboi

Reply #20 - 06.05.09 at 07:08:35
Print Post  
CJ - sorry I've not been here for a while - just catching up with all these posts...  Anyway, in my opinion a break is looooong overdue - enjoy the hiatus mate, we'll be here waiting for your patches when you return Smiley

http://www.rgcd.co.uk
The Essential Discmag for Retro Gamers!

http://www.myspace.com/heavystylus
Usual myspace crap.

http://tinyurl.com/heavystylus
Facebook
IP Logged

StickHead
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #21 - 06.05.09 at 23:32:26
Print Post  
I've just read this post by Christos and it inspired me to come over here to tell you all (D-Bug) what a bloody good bunch of chaps you are when I stumble across this topic!  Shocked

Sorry it took so long for me to get around to telling you guys this, but your menus have long offered me many a hour of gaming pleasure and now your HD patches are set to increase that many-fold! (I'm just waiting for my UltraSatan at the moment)

Enjoy your break and take as long as you need, but please don't disappear forever. You and your efforts are appreciated and you shouldn't let disputes interfere with what you do, instead use them to spur you on like the rivalries of the good old days.

I suppose now isn't a good time to request a STE fix of IK+? No? OK then...  Lips Sealed

All the best,
StickHead

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #22 - 06.05.09 at 23:35:14
Print Post  
IK+ was fixed for all TOS over 2 years ago... it's got sync-critical code in it though, so it won't run on the Falcon properly.

We've not released it yet.

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #23 - 07.05.09 at 06:54:29
Print Post  
Well after a bit of a break I've started enjoying not being at the Atari 24x7.  This is a GoodThing(tm)

I have pretty much made up my mind to take an extended leave of absence from the "release fest" (with one notable exception - Outline is just around the corner)

Rest assured I'm not going to let one narrow-minded, hypocritical, bickering, Hungarian Troll remove me from the Atari world no matter how many of my ideas or lines of my code he tries to take credit for. The folks in Atari-land who have been here long enough to matter know the truth, the misguided newcomers can enjoy having their partitions wiped clean.

I will still continue to do things. ULSv4 is planned out in my head but will take a while to implement.  The added functionality I have in mind should make pretty much 90%+ of titles trivial to patch for HD and possibly Falcon.  Klapauzius has already got some of this implemented in his own version of ULS, so in a way I'm on catch-up now Smiley

V3 mainly targetted raw data dma loaded games. V4 is firmly targetting GemDOS games, whilst keeping all the V3 functions intact. Think ULS+ChunkLoader+NoTRAPs, and you'll be along the right lines.

We're in the process of looking for a new host for the site. Once we find one, the business of relocation and upgrade will take place.  That's going to be quite a major task as over the last 4 years we have been very lazy with the file structure of this website.

We've also recently expanded the beta-testing team. Applications are still welcome and will be assessed on a per-applicant basis.  Please be aware you may be asked to test some things very much in the alpha stage of development, and as such they might not be 100% safe data-wise.  Accidents sometimes happen before release grade software is ready, although we have a pretty good track record with development code (Ask any of our testing team! The most damage we've so far done is to erase files in the test game's folder!)

So, releases from me will be vanishing for quite a while. Hopefully when I return back to them there will be quite a backlog of stuff I've been working on. Who knows? It'll be nice to let Shw and GGN take the pilot seat for a while Smiley

Thanks for the kind words of support - They really make a difference.
« Last Edit: 07.05.09 at 07:19:51 by CJ »  

IP Logged

CiH
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #24 - 07.05.09 at 08:37:43
Print Post  
Quote:
Rest assured I'm not going to let one narrow-minded, hypocritical, bickering, Hungarian Troll remove me from the Atari world no matter how many of my ideas or lines of my code he tries to take credit for. The folks in Atari-land who have been here long enough to matter know the truth, the misguided newcomers can enjoy having their partitions wiped clean.

*Pats CJ on back Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top