Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 Problem with Wizball (Read 2705 times)
Saviour
Distributor

/|\ ATARI Freak

Problem with Wizball
11.03.07 at 20:06:49
Print Post  
Hey there!

First, iīd really like to thank all of you guys from D-Bug for the great Falcon-Fixes you offer (and already offered) to the Atari community, including me. Keep up the quality work! Smiley

But...i have a little problem with Wizball of your February Falcon Fix-Pack.
It starts normally and i can see the Intro showing up, but when i press the firebutton to get into the game, the screen changes to the playfield and one second later the sound hangs and i get 3 bombs (even in red Wink ). I even tried it with a clean boot of my Falcon, but it doesnīt help, same problem there.
I possess a Falcon030 (16MHz) with 14MB RAM, 68882 FPU, German TOS 4.04 and an 800MB internal HDD with HD Driver 8.13.

So does anyone of you guys know what it could be or what iīm possibly doing wrong?

Thanks for the help!

- /|\ ATARI Falcon030 with PhantomS - TOS 4.04 - 68882 FPU - 14 MB RAM - 800 MB internal IDE Harddisk - External CD-ROM - MagiC 6.2 - Jinnee 2.01 - NVDI 5.01 - HD Driver 8.13

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Re: Problem with Wizball
Reply #1 - 11.03.07 at 23:52:20
Print Post  
Hi

Can you try copying it to a floppy disk and booting *without* HDDriver.  If this works then I suspect you have a large cache configured for the hard disk.

At the moment there is no workaround for HD-Drivers caches.

"With only one button, even drooling fucktards like Kizza can play our game!"

IP Logged

Saviour
Distributor

/|\ ATARI Freak

Reply #2 - 15.03.07 at 16:28:37
Print Post  
Hey again,

i copied Wizball in an AUTO-folder on a blank Floppy disk (1.44 MB), booted my Falcon with ALTERNATE key pressed (to make sure HD Driver isnīt loading) and got into the game.
But when it comes to the playfield (like on HDD), after i pressed a key at the Intro, i see Level 1 show up and then i have floppy disk access again (no sprite, no music, just the playfield graphics), which ends up in a loop (my Falcon Floppy makes some really scary noises at this time :/ )...
So...any other idea?

- /|\ ATARI Falcon030 with PhantomS - TOS 4.04 - 68882 FPU - 14 MB RAM - 800 MB internal IDE Harddisk - External CD-ROM - MagiC 6.2 - Jinnee 2.01 - NVDI 5.01 - HD Driver 8.13

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #3 - 15.03.07 at 21:11:04
Print Post  
Saviour wrote on 15.03.07 at 16:28:37:
Hey again,

i copied Wizball in an AUTO-folder on a blank Floppy disk (1.44 MB), booted my Falcon with ALTERNATE key pressed (to make sure HD Driver isnīt loading) and got into the game.
But when it comes to the playfield (like on HDD), after i pressed a key at the Intro, i see Level 1 show up and then i have floppy disk access again (no sprite, no music, just the playfield graphics), which ends up in a loop (my Falcon Floppy makes some really scary noises at this time :/ )...
So...any other idea?

That sounds weird... looks like a disk check is kicking in when it shouldn't.... I'll try to have a look at it tomorrow from floppy and hdd and see if I can spot any weird floppy accesses.

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #4 - 16.03.07 at 06:43:47
Print Post  
Hi,

I can't duplicate this on either of my Falcon's...  so I can't really debug this one for you.  If GGN or SHW can duplicate this crash we might be able to get somewhere.

Sorry!

"With only one button, even drooling fucktards like Kizza can play our game!"

IP Logged

Shw
D-Bug member

D-Bug member

Reply #5 - 16.03.07 at 09:07:05
Print Post  
I'll try it today.

Shw

IP Logged

Saviour
Distributor

/|\ ATARI Freak

Reply #6 - 16.03.07 at 12:16:15
Print Post  
No problem if you donīt find the error...i appreciate your tries to fix it for me. Thanks! Smiley

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #7 - 18.03.07 at 13:22:47
Print Post  
Hi there,

I tried it on both of my falcons (TOS 4.04 on both) and it worked without a hitch :/

So what can I suggest now is to put the game in a floppy in the auto folder and boot off that. Like CJ said, it is very crucial that your hard disk driver doesn't load at all, since in some cases it messes things up. (make sure you don't see your driver's info text being displayed Smiley )

Lastly, something else: Can you give us the specs of your Falcon? RAM, TOS version, hard disk driver (and version), any expansions/mods you applied to it, etc.

Hope this helps....

IP Logged

Saviour
Distributor

/|\ ATARI Freak

Reply #8 - 18.03.07 at 15:29:22
Print Post  
Hey!

This is strange that this error just occurs on my Falcon.
I already booted it from a 1.44 MB Floppy with Alternate-key pressed to make sure HD Driver doesnīt load. And i didnīt see any info window of my HD Driver while booting with the Alternate key.

I already posted my Falcon specs above, in the first one...but here they are again. With some stuff that i forgot in the first post but which maybe helpful now:
Falcon030 68030 @ 16MHz - DSP @ 32 MHz (no Accelerator), 68882 FPU, 14MB RAM, German TOS 4.04, 800 MB internal Toshiba HDD, HD Driver 8.13 and i am using MagiC! 6.2 OS on it.
Another thing is, that my Dallas Chip (the Chip which stores the hardware clock and regional settings) passed away 6 months ago. So i have an english TOS now, if i boot it without MagiC.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #9 - 18.03.07 at 18:17:13
Print Post  
Oops, sorry about not noticing your specs posted before .

Well, one last suggestion, as all of the above sound ok (also, I just remembered it!)... When CJ sent me wizball for testing it was named wiz030.tos. I roughly experienced the same behaviour as you did, and by luck (or intuition!) I renamed it to .prg and it started working. So, try renaming it back to .tos, maybe it will work Smiley

IP Logged

Saviour
Distributor

/|\ ATARI Freak

Reply #10 - 18.03.07 at 21:21:20
Print Post  
Heyho!

Great! Thatīs it! I just renamed it into "Wiz030.TOS" and now i can play it without any problems!
Thanks for the help, guys! Smiley

IP Logged

karlm
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #11 - 18.03.07 at 21:55:25
Print Post  
Saviour - to replace your clock, read here:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8546&start=15

cheers

karlm

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #12 - 19.03.07 at 07:59:04
Print Post  
Saviour wrote on 18.03.07 at 21:21:20:
Heyho!

Great! Thatīs it! I just renamed it into "Wiz030.TOS" and now i can play it without any problems!
Thanks for the help, guys! Smiley

Nice Smiley

Well, the thing with Wizball is that I got it for inclusion at the last moment, so I rushed to test, it crashed, I renamed it to .prg, it worked, and forgot (or didn't have time) to send it back to the others for testing. Sorry about that

IP Logged

Saviour
Distributor

/|\ ATARI Freak

Reply #13 - 19.03.07 at 16:21:31
Print Post  
Quote:
Well, the thing with Wizball is that I got it for inclusion at the last moment, so I rushed to test, it crashed, I renamed it to .prg, it worked, and forgot (or didn't have time) to send it back to the others for testing. Sorry about that

Hey no problem, ggn and all of D-Bug. I am so happy that there are still people around which work hard and release quality games (or gamefixes) for the Atari-Community! And if there is a little mistake from time to time...no worries! You still can be fu*king proud of yourselves!
Stay cool - stay Atari! Smiley
« Last Edit: 19.03.07 at 16:26:06 by Saviour »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top