ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Automation #021
22.04.12 at 10:34:59
Print Post  
http://d-bug.mooo.com/automenus.php?s=21&e=21

Nigel Mansell's Grand Prix by Martech, Crack by Was (Not Was)

Fernandez must die by Image Works, Crack by Kam

Battlezone by Atari, Crack by Bob

The Enforcer by Methodic Solutions, Crack by Bob

Uridium by Graftgold, Crack by Was (Not Was)

Altair by Ere Imformatique, Crack by A-ha

IP Logged

aktiv8
Distributor

D-BUGer

Re: Automation #021
Reply #1 - 28.04.12 at 10:03:59
Print Post  
Uridium

A game I loved on my 8-bit, but never fell in love with on the ST. Despite being a more than faithful conversion, right down to the 'streaked' Player 1 text, I always felt it was lacking graphically and not pushing what the ST could do.  Granted this may be an early-ish ST release and a faithful port of the C64 version perhaps, but you still feel there should have been something more rather than just give us the C64 graphics on the ST.

However, emulation does add something to the game.  Scrolling is good and smooth, but the enemies are not to challenging and you can fairly easily outmanoeuvre the heat-seeking mines.  However the fun starts when you push Steem up to 16MHz - now you are in for a whole different game, with the scrolling still smooth, the need to move from the backgrounds of the dreadnaughts to avoid those towers and walls is now a much more frantic and fun affair and more akin to the enjoyment found playing any of the the 8-bit versions.

So do yourself a favour, pump up the MHz and prepare to have a fun new look on a game you may have just though "meh" about before.
« Last Edit: 28.04.12 at 10:09:05 by aktiv8 »  

A_021_001.bmp ( 187 KB | Downloads )
A_021_001.bmp
A_021_002.bmp ( 187 KB | Downloads )
A_021_002.bmp

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #2 - 28.04.12 at 10:22:20
Print Post  
Fernandez must die

Must he? Oh well, here we go again then...

Bang! Bang! Pow! Pow! Pew-pew-pew-pew! Ouch, that hurts! Ptchhhh! Yow! A little to the left! Crash! BOOOOM!

As far as vertical shoot'em'ups go, this is one is fairly standard. Move your soldier around, shooting anyone that dares to move (even if they seem not to be aiming towards you, so in essence you're killing innocents!), throw some mortars at stationary targets, place bombs in doors that blow up to reveal either safes that you can blow up too (but apparently give you nothing apart from the satisfaction of blowing them up) or prisoners (again, saving them seems to have no impact on the game, maybe score?) or a funky dressed general which you can shoot to gain an extra life.

(yes, I know, it's not a good writing practice to make a single sentence this long and actually take the space of a full paragraph, but screw it, nobody's grading me for this Tongue)

You can also climb on a jeep and drive around recklessly for a while driving over people etc. Of course it'll blow up after getting a few shots, but it's fun while it lasts. Oh yeah, in the screenshot I took, I show you how you can pass through fences with the jeep instead of abandoning it and going on foot! Take THAT Ratt, I guess you never found this bug, but now it's out in the open!!!111111ONOENONEONEONEONE

Okay, it's a blatant rip-off of Ikari Warriors, but have you seen the ST port? Smiley

auto021_001.png ( 6 KB | Downloads )
auto021_001.png

IP Logged

simonsunnyboy
Distributor

Rockabilly rulez!

Reply #3 - 28.04.12 at 16:55:24
Print Post  
I actually enjoy playing Fernandez must die sometimes. It is quite playable and feels a bit like Commando without being as hard.

Rock'n'Roll is the thing - Jerry Lee is the king!

Paradize Website: http://paradize.atari.org/
ST Offline Tournament: http://www.npoi.de/stot/
WWWGTalkICQ  
IP Logged

MitchFrenzal
Distributor

D-BUGer

Reply #4 - 13.05.12 at 17:29:22
Print Post  
I like FMD too, Better than Ratt and Bish's C64 version, by miles. Smiley

IP Logged