Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Your personal ST stories. When, what, how and now? (Read 1451 times)
Christos
Distributor
Reboot Member

D-BUGer

Your personal ST stories. When, what, how and now?
22.12.08 at 23:48:36
Print Post  
I'll start. I got my first ST, a mega STE in 2008. Heh, not quite true. Until 1995 I had only one computer, the Atari XE. At that point I was 2 years away from the panhellenic exams (uni entry exams) and decided I wanted a new computer. At the time I had no clue atari was going bust etc and I was between the Falcon, the 1200 and a 486 pc. At the machines demoing, I saw a game on the 1200, some stuff on the PC and some 3d cubes and a multimedia presentation on falcon. Add brand loyalty to that and you get it. Brand loyalty, is bad but it served me well there. I could do almost anything I wanted on the falcon, from games (granted I didn't have access to the super cool pc games of the time, wing commander, x-wing etc) but it was fun. The productivity software got me till 2001-2 when I had to write my thesis and everything went smoothly. Then I got a pc.
Now, I must admit the falcon is little more than a gaming machine and demo viewer. But the little more is important too. I've spent many hours ircing with it, I use it for some science work (yes I am a scientist) and generally I try to find things I can do there that are not too slow, or too demanding to be done there. I found that doing some serious work at the Atari does add a fun factor there.
Your stories?

IP Logged

Heavy Stylus
Playtester

D-BUG Fanboi

Re: Your personal ST stories. When, what, how and now?
Reply #1 - 23.12.08 at 10:35:33
Print Post  
I fist got an Atari STFM 520 back in 1988 or 89 (it was the Discovery pack with 20 or so games) and I was completely blown away.  My previous computer was a Spectrum +2 128, so you can imagine how amazed I was by the Atari's power.

I used it all the way through secondary school (11-16), I had an awful program called First Word Plus that I used for word processing (ahem), and dozens of bought games, but by the mid 90's the commercial Atari scene had died - you couldn't buy software in the shops and ST Format was the only magazine left.

I had no access to compact menus, so was never introduced to the likes of Automation until years later.  Anyway, around 1994 I decided I needed a new machine for college so I bought an Amiga 1200 - which after the ST felt like another massive leap forward.  The ST went in the garage, and was later thrown away after I moved out.

The Amiga market dried up after a few more years, and in 1998/9 I got a PC and discovered PacifiST.  My love for the ST was rekindled and I started to recollect the games I used to have via the Automation disks, and later on D-Bug as well.  Then in 2007 (after many years of using STEem) I sold my PS2, had some money to spend and bought an STE, 4MB with TOS2.06 upgrade, external SCSI enclosure with 500MB HD and a zip drive!

The Atari was always my favourite computer, and it's great to have one permanently set up in my office and sharing the same monitor/LCD screen as my PC! Smiley

http://www.rgcd.co.uk
The Essential Discmag for Retro Gamers!

http://www.myspace.com/heavystylus
Usual myspace crap.

http://tinyurl.com/heavystylus
Facebook
IP Logged

aktiv8
Distributor

D-BUGer

Reply #2 - 23.12.08 at 11:31:15
Print Post  
For me, I got my ST second hand around 86.  Half med STFM with TOS1.2 on board, and whihc I later (and fiarly expensively!) had upgraded to one meg.

Bought the ST from a guy in a caravan on a cold windy Welsh caravan park in teh valleys, and never looked back.  Came with lots of original sofware and lots of WNW/Automation menus and a few unbranded menus of the same ilk.  Some of these had a sticker on the back with a contacts name and address (kinda stupid perhaps but there we go) and then I started making contacts via him.

Then was always adding to my collection via new contatcs and swap meets etc.  Then of course I moved away and ST got left at home, but it was then I got in to pacifiST in 1996 I think it was and started up Aktiv8's FTP site whihc was truely a well hammered FTP site and also got my in troube in uni - lol

Anyway added to my collection further using Demonburps ST emporium, Pacigame and pacidemo etc - adding disks that I had once lost etc.  And I suppose the rest is history... I'm still here and enjoying the scene.  My ST (Still at my dads) still works, just needs a good clean up Wink

IP Logged

Trev
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #3 - 26.12.08 at 18:14:38
Print Post  
Got my first ST as a Christmas present in 1987 with a bunch of games from Silica...

Then I bumped into loads of Welsh fellas who had lots of old A-Ha cracks and things and later on the Automation menus... The rest, as they say, is history.

Learnt how to do a bit myself on the quiet and still potter about - coming from an 800XL it came sort of easy...  Crumbling ST Internals manual aside...

Happy times.

Cheesy

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #4 - 28.12.08 at 00:05:19
Print Post  
Do I win the "crumbling reference manual" competition?
« Last Edit: 28.12.08 at 00:08:27 by CJ »  

caspr.jpg ( 26 KB | Downloads )
caspr.jpg

"With only one button, even drooling fucktards like Kizza can play our game!"

IP Logged

Trev
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #5 - 28.12.08 at 22:31:26
Print Post  
Grin I think so, that's in one hell of a state... but then you've been at it for years.

Cheesy

IP Logged

hades
RoMzkiddiEz

Playtester

Reply #6 - 04.01.09 at 03:46:43
Print Post  
I got me STe way back in the day when I was friends with Apollo/Iceman and sort of did know The Law. I got all me menu games from them and even helped to playtest and supply some of the games.
I was wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of Apollo/Iceman be good to get in contact with im again.Did know he went to th e USA some years ago now.

IP Logged

jens
RoMzkiddiEz

High on the wire

Reply #7 - 16.01.09 at 19:36:59
Print Post  
Got my first ST in the second half of the nineties, and ended up in using the ST line quite a lot.
I have a 520 as well as a Milan Atari clone, and just now one of my Falcons is playing mp3 files.
My mainly used program on STs is Cubase, and on the 030+ machines I'm doing internet stuff mostly.
I rarely play games, but I enjoy Empire, Crown of Creation and some other a lot.
Atm waiting to give Epic a try, but well - no time for that.

Beside the Atari computers I use some more or less oldish Macs, a few PCs, some old Sun machines plus I have an Amiga 1200 standing in the tracks to be setup nicely.
Playing with UNIX on the Suns is quite hard when you are a UNIX noob like I am.

All those older machines are fascinating, but I like my first Falcon most, and I use it more often than my considerably faster second Falcon.

Greetings, Jens
IP Logged

MR BENN
Distributor

D-BUGer

Reply #8 - 18.01.09 at 17:23:39
Print Post  
Hi, got my first st right at the end of the commercial st scene in the uk. I remember buying the last few copies of atari world off the shelf when they made an announcement in one issue that they were changing the paper it would be printed on to keep costs down because of low circulation.It went from glossy paper to something akin to toilet roll.How good is that Smiley

I had bought my st complete with various disks and gradually waded through them where there were quit a few menus,automation amongst them but nothing to suggest that the crews were still active......and bam! in more recent times to my great surprise and pleasure dbug become active again SmileyI remember the most recent disks in there were from stosser software a group avidly supporting atari at the time,anybody remember heartlands with the dizzy sprite and hero 1 and 2 ?

In the interim my st had been stored away like so many i suppose{though i never forgot it} and the pc took over.Then the  emulation scene came which rekindled my interest and realised i could write back the images to real hardware and the st came back out of storage,decided to buy an ste and have 2 now,one upstairs complete with monitor master for switching between mono and colour monitors and one downstairs hooked up to the television{my wife thinks im sad}
I also have a current brother hl-5240 laser printer http://www.brother.co.uk/g3.cfm/s_page/166900/s_level/38090/s_product/HL5240ZU1 hooked up which works great
It has emulation mode for PCL6, BR-Script 3, IBM Proprinter XL, Epson FX-850 which  it enters depending on the type of data it receives,hence easy to use with an st

Its a continuing voyage of discovery really,much of the stuff im seeing for the first time around including the majority of dbugs patches and its great fun,plenty of free software Smileyand the st seems more popular now than when i first had it Smiley

So what is it that i like so much about this little grey/yellow box,i dont know but st graphics /sounds fill me with joy Smiley

tara  for now Smiley  

« Last Edit: 18.01.09 at 17:31:03 by MR BENN »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top