Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 More than games site launched. (Read 1407 times)
Christos
Distributor
Reboot Member

D-BUGer

More than games site launched.
25.12.08 at 20:28:52
Print Post  
Due to the new availability of hard disks and hard disk solutions available for the Atari and due to the newcomers to our platform a new site is launched today. Its aim is to provide a collection of useful software, neatly arranged in folders and all, that you can decompress in your Atari's hardrive and be ready to go. So visit http://morethangames.dbug-automation.co.uk ;
and download the big zip file.
Many thanks must go to D-Bug for hosting this site. I hope you enjoy this collection. Please post your comments, suggestions, criticism etc.
Thank you.

IP Logged

Heavy Stylus
Playtester

D-BUG Fanboi

Re: More than games site launched.
Reply #1 - 27.12.08 at 01:07:32
Print Post  
Nice idea Christos.

http://www.rgcd.co.uk
The Essential Discmag for Retro Gamers!

http://www.myspace.com/heavystylus
Usual myspace crap.

http://tinyurl.com/heavystylus
Facebook
IP Logged

aktiv8
Distributor

D-BUGer

Reply #2 - 27.12.08 at 12:52:27
Print Post  
Very handy.. Good idea

Nice Xmas Pressie along with all the latest patches too Smiley

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #3 - 02.01.09 at 14:23:11
Print Post  
Ok, I've had some more testing with it today and I want to write down some comments:

a) The clock app. REMOVE IT! Each time I load an windowed app it pops up where you least expect it and steals focus from windows (or dialog boxes) which usually you can't get back.
b) Teradesk needs quite some more tweaking to be called acceptable under medium res. The fonts are too big so the window widgets come out huge, as well as the text. Moreover, even the spawned apps' fonts appear screwed up! Not to mention that people report that with it running some of our patched games refuse to work...

That's all for now. I'll post some more later.

IP Logged

Christos
Distributor
Reboot Member

D-BUGer

Reply #4 - 02.01.09 at 17:00:10
Print Post  
ggn wrote on 02.01.09 at 14:23:11:
Ok, I've had some more testing with it today and I want to write down some comments:

a) The clock app. REMOVE IT! Each time I load an windowed app it pops up where you least expect it and steals focus from windows (or dialog boxes) which usually you can't get back.
b) Teradesk needs quite some more tweaking to be called acceptable under medium res. The fonts are too big so the window widgets come out huge, as well as the text. Moreover, even the spawned apps' fonts appear screwed up! Not to mention that people report that with it running some of our patched games refuse to work...

That's all for now. I'll post some more later.

OK, I'll kill the clock app.
About teradesk. It didn't display any font problems during testing.. I'll look into it together with the update to the new version.
About the patched games, it's not just teradesk that will cause problems. But also many of the autofolder stuff. As always, games are best run with clean boot but you already know that Cheesy.
I'm on it (ala d-bug fast bugfixing) Cheesy

IP Logged

Christos
Distributor
Reboot Member

D-BUGer

Reply #5 - 02.01.09 at 17:40:12
Print Post  
OK, seems that the font problem might be caused by wdialog. Kill it since only one or two apps in the pack seem to use it (but they can work without it). Sorry for the inconvenience. Unfortunately I can't test on the real h/w (MSTE) but it wasn't reproducable on either Hatari or STEEM TOS 2.06.
Anyway, I'll be adding GDOS on the pack as well so you could even use different fonts. And I guess I will also need to add a boot manager.
Thanks for your help ggn.

IP Logged

saulot [nokturnal]
RoMzkiddiEz

Reply #6 - 02.01.09 at 23:46:28
Print Post  
christos:
I've seen your new website. The idea is very good I think. I've seen one cool project for amiga: http://classicwb.abime.net/
which is similar to your own..

I have one suggestion to the pack, I think that there should be two versions of packages: for ST range and TT/falcon (for example I've seen in the pack smurf which will not run on st (as far I know), so it is useless for STs so why to include it?).
I would be cool to add system patches from atari (it could be in several external files). Things like poolfix.prg, patches for TOS 1.6(saving desktop in medrez wasn't working) etc..
Mono emulator like Sebra is missing.. There is no HSMODEM 0.7 (which replaces  buggy system routines for serial port)...
The software that could be added are all those decent gfx, msx program already present on dhs website (players, editors, gfx , coding tools). Also adding freeVDI would be cool and file selectors(freedom, boxkite(it's free now) or selectric)...
It was just few thoughts  Grin

IP Logged

saulot [nokturnal]
RoMzkiddiEz

Reply #7 - 02.01.09 at 23:55:13
Print Post  
christos:
and some other pointers:
some cool apps for ST's:
http://gem.win.co.nz/hall/pages/files1.html

and adding boot selector xboot (I have one boot manager for ST which is free, but I forgot the name). STOOP is one free for falcon..
The minimal set of patches for mega/ste is for example: STEFIX.PRG, POOLFIX.PRG, CACHE.PRG, ARROW-FIX, FOLDER.PRG..

IP Logged

Christos
Distributor
Reboot Member

D-BUGer

Reply #8 - 03.01.09 at 00:25:04
Print Post  
Hi Saulot, many thanks for the input and the links Smiley.

The idea to make two different packs is a good one, though not without it's problems. For example you mention fixes.. so we have some fixes for ST, STE, TT, Falcon. This makes 4 packs already. I guess I could just add a patchest, patcheste, patchTT etc. And then expand it to additions. Falcon only, STe only etc..

BTW, I had no idea about the classicwb site being a software pack (I thought it was somekind of hacked workbench Cheesy). My idea was born from linux distros..

On your other notes, smurf works fine on ST (just tested it on steem) but the mono emulator is indeed something missing as a lot of other stuff. I'd also like a nicer fileselector like boxkite but it caused me a lot of problems during the testing phase on STEEM so I went for UIS. But I'll give it another go. And indeed I am on the hunt for a free boot manager. Oh, hsmodem isn't there since I included fserial.. Which reminds me, I should do a transfer disk with stzip, fserial and ghostlink..

Also stay tuned because more stuff are on the pipeline. Thanks all for the kind words and comments.
« Last Edit: 03.01.09 at 00:29:46 by Christos »  

IP Logged

saulot [nokturnal]
RoMzkiddiEz

Reply #9 - 03.01.09 at 00:54:52
Print Post  
christos: boxkite is not as nice on st (it's better solution but for falcon), on the other hand I've used freedom and selectric on my ste..

the boot manager for st that i forgot is start it, xboot would be better, but it seems it's not free option.

And yes classicWB isn't hacked workbench, but fully configured WB system, just to install on real machine or emulator, in several versions for slower and faster machines. Real time saver..

It's sometimes boring to reconfigure all environment from scratch over and over again..

Recently I've got discussion with an amiga guy with ste and clean hd and he was searching for ready solution like yours Wink)..

IP Logged

Christos
Distributor
Reboot Member

D-BUGer

Reply #10 - 03.01.09 at 01:44:48
Print Post  
Heh cool! I really hope people use it Smiley

Well I have start it from an st format cover disk but I remember it wasn't usable on the falcon (or I was a lamer). I have xboot and never looked back.. Anyway, will definitely give it another shot. Smiley

And your friend, this is the right place Smiley. The best atari st game site! More stuff to follow Smiley

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #11 - 03.01.09 at 02:56:29
Print Post  
Might I suggest "The Monolator" for your packs Mono Emulation.

It's blazingly fast and I've also heard that the guy who wrote it hangs out here, and would most likely be happy for you to include it....... Wink

It can be found on this: http://www.dbug-automation.co.uk/dbugmenu/dbug157v3.msa
« Last Edit: 03.01.09 at 02:58:41 by CJ »  

"With only one button, even drooling fucktards like Kizza can play our game!"

IP Logged

Christos
Distributor
Reboot Member

D-BUGer

Reply #12 - 03.01.09 at 11:14:46
Print Post  
CJ wrote on 03.01.09 at 02:56:29:
Might I suggest "The Monolator" for your packs Mono Emulation.

It's blazingly fast and I've also heard that the guy who wrote it hangs out here, and would most likely be happy for you to include it....... Wink

It can be found on this: http://www.dbug-automation.co.uk/dbugmenu/dbug157v3.msa

Thanks for the suggestion. But I guess it won't be so easy to find Smiley

404.PNG ( 35 KB | Downloads )
404.PNG

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #13 - 03.01.09 at 12:10:23
Print Post  
Ooops, I forgot the automation disks aren't linked yet Smiley

"With only one button, even drooling fucktards like Kizza can play our game!"

IP Logged

Christos
Distributor
Reboot Member

D-BUGer

Reply #14 - 03.01.09 at 15:18:47
Print Post  
No problem! Added and tested now. Works perfectly Smiley. Thanks Smiley

Seems like the update will go up very soon!

« Last Edit: 03.01.09 at 15:20:36 by Christos »  

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #15 - 03.01.09 at 16:17:20
Print Post  
Another boot manager you might want to try is superboot. It's text only, but I was usuing it happily even from floppies!

I remember my configurations were: Low, Med, High (via mono emulator), GFA-Low (loaded gfa basic on entry to gem), GFA-Med, GFA-High, Turboass Smiley

You might want to add different configs for st and falcon too Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top