Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Fings Wot I have noticed (Read 775 times)
Muphex
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Fings Wot I have noticed
11.01.09 at 17:20:37
Print Post  
First of all this isn't a grumble, the work that has been done on ULS has been fantastic and I regularly log in to see what new goodies I have for the falcy, just some observations on my system that might hopefully give some insight to improve future versions of ULS.

OK so firstly I seem to have one of the problem falcons that doesn't like to run many of the games unless I hold control to boot into low res st compat mode. This isn't too much of a pain at all and I am not complaining I am just curious about the behaviour. Some games (Magic Pockets for instance) when I am in normal mode (i.e. 256 mode running thing etc) will load the loader perfectly and change res etc but then when it comes to running the game (i.e. hitting space to continue) just hangs.....this doesn't happen in compatibility mode after holding control to boot everything runs swimmingly. However games that have the with ULS starting screen refuse to change res from 256 mode and I get four very squashed versions of the load screen with the wrong colours at the top of my desktop. Some games run from 256 mode sometimes and then other times won't boot freezing as before (this is after a coldboot to 256 mode) yet everything runs perfectly in st compat mode. However all of Klap's games boot and work quite happily from 256 mode, very odd as it is using the same loader.

I am not whinging as I said as I am very happy to be able to play the games at all, just a few pointers if it helps for future versions/updates.

Also, and I may answer this myself here, some games that use sampels (e.g. gods etc) for the music suffer from the samples playing too fast and so being out of sync with each other, is this normal and down to the machine just being faster than the st?

Oh yeah and my specs if you are interested:

14 meg falcon
tos 4.04
lastest hddriver
Thing desktop
vga monitor

Anywhoo many thanks for all the work, as I said I am not looking for fixes here just passing on info. (I really really appreciate all the hard work you guys keep doing!)

IP Logged

Christos
Distributor
Reboot Member

D-BUGer

Re: Fings Wot I have noticed
Reply #1 - 11.01.09 at 18:24:45
Print Post  
Thing will cause problems with most games (as will any other desktop) since they reserve memory that might be needed by uls or the game. It doesn't matter if you have enough memory since some addresses reserved may be required (please D-Bug correct me if I am wrong). The same problem can come from HDDriver caches as well. If they are too big they reserve precious memory.
So games need to be started clean booted. I doubt that without thing you'll have problems running any game even from a 256 colour resolution.
My suggestion. A bootmanager. Generally you can have a pretty nice gem desktop that will also allow you to run the games.

P.S. Some games will also run from mint. But I haven't tested which ones. Problem is that MiNT takes some time to boot Wink.

« Last Edit: 11.01.09 at 18:26:25 by Christos »  

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #2 - 11.01.09 at 19:52:08
Print Post  
This is a long shot, but could you try your problem falcon with another monitor? I remember one monitor I had some time back had the twinsync bug (i.e. all games playing too fast), but when I switched monitor, everything was fine.

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Reply #3 - 12.01.09 at 00:49:29
Print Post  
I'm going to say it's Thing!

As stated we don't support (or plan to support) replacement desktops - patching is complicated enough as it is - so please, use a boot manager like XBOOT3.

As for the samples, the Falcon's VBL (on VGA) is 60Hz, most of the games will expect 50Hz (TV PAL) - so any music expecting 50Hz timing will sound too fast.

For some, the samples play back perfectly, but the timing code that fills the buffers up for replay runs "ahead" due to the extra speed, and you get "skipping" - examples of this are Gods and Magic Pockets.

Hope this clears 'things' up.  Smiley

"With only one button, even drooling fucktards like Kizza can play our game!"

IP Logged

Muphex
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #4 - 27.04.09 at 23:26:03
Print Post  
Just for the record I went back to this tonight. I might have missed something in some documentation somewhere but it was NVDI 4 causing the problems, removing that allowed the games to boot perfectly in Thing!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top