Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Languages, atari ST and all. (Read 1201 times)
Christos
Distributor
Reboot Member

D-BUGer

Languages, atari ST and all.
26.05.09 at 22:31:23
Print Post  
Hi reboot!
I am going to post the first jaguar coding question here!

Well my asm language skills are non existant and since I am also very bad in C is there some way I can use my falcon and gfa basic to code the beast? I just got given a jaguar (big thanks to the god that gave it to me)and  I thought I'd put it to some use.

I was thinking something along the lines of making a setup code using peeks and pokes and then just normal basic code that compiles to 68k. Is that possible at all?
TIA Smiley
« Last Edit: 26.05.09 at 22:32:18 by Christos »  

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Re: Languages, atari ST and all.
Reply #1 - 27.05.09 at 09:14:38
Print Post  
If you can code in "C" you should be able to link that into a working binary, otherwise your out of luck.  It's assembler or bust, I'm afraid!

"With only one button, even drooling fucktards like Kizza can play our game!"

IP Logged

promethea
Reboot Member

Rebooter

Reply #2 - 27.05.09 at 15:34:50
Print Post  
Well,

The problem with gfa (and many languages) is that the instructions used (e.g. prcircle) when compiled are translated into assembly language tailor made for just one computer model. Diverge the hardware just a little and you're left with an incompatible binary.

Now, as you know, the jaguar has vastly different achitrecture than the ST. So much in fact that pretty much only the 68000 is common to the 2 machines. Memory mappings, O/S calls, etc etc are totally different.

So, unless you get someone to make the compiler to covert your source code to stuff that the jag will comprehend, you're b0rked.

Quick example to make my point: trap 14 function 2 gives you the physbase on st. What does it do on the jaguar? Are traps set up? Do they have the same parameter passing scheme as TOS?

I am Promethea, art's fiercest spark...I am all inspiration...all desire. Imagination's blaze in mankind's dark..I am Promethea.. I bring you FIRE!

IP Logged

Christos
Distributor
Reboot Member

D-BUGer

Reply #3 - 27.05.09 at 15:52:12
Print Post  
Yes, I understand that, but what if you only use the basic instructions and nothing h/w specific? For example if/then etc should translate to pure 68k code.
Well, it was just a thought and I just wondered about the possibility.

IP Logged

promethea
Reboot Member

Rebooter

Reply #4 - 27.05.09 at 16:03:45
Print Post  
Might as well code it in asm then Smiley

Oh, and you'll need to strip off the gfa .prg header too...

I am Promethea, art's fiercest spark...I am all inspiration...all desire. Imagination's blaze in mankind's dark..I am Promethea.. I bring you FIRE!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top