2 (13.3%)
Repackage them and release them in a fixpack    
  9 (60.0%)
Repackage them and release them immediately    
  4 (26.7%)

Total votes: 15
« Created by: ggn on: 08.03.07 at 12:14:47 »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Already compatible games - what should we do? (Read 1259 times)
ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Already compatible games - what should we do?
08.03.07 at 12:14:47
Print Post  
I already posted a thread here, but so far nobody answered it.

So, what do you guys think? My view is that we should just mention them, after all it'll be only a matter of copying the files to a folder in your hdd and nothing else. At worst maybe using New depack to unpack the files or something easy like that (of course we'll provide instructions and tools needed, if any).

IP Logged

CJ
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug Founder

Re: Already compatible games - what should we do?
Reply #1 - 08.03.07 at 17:28:59
Print Post  
I vote for somethign different!

I vote for a repackaging for a fixpack as even if they do work, they will still need resolution/8mhz/16mhz and cache options bolted to the front.

"With only one button, even drooling fucktards like Kizza can play our game!"

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #2 - 08.03.07 at 17:50:43
Print Post  
CJ wrote on 08.03.07 at 17:28:59:
I vote for a repackaging for a fixpack as even if they do work, they will still need resolution/8mhz/16mhz and cache options bolted to the front.

Yeah, I've been having some thoughts about that, code a small program that changes caches and cpu setting that should be ran before running the program. Anyway, awaiting for more votes

IP Logged

mouse_master
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #3 - 08.03.07 at 21:34:41
Print Post  
CJ wrote on 08.03.07 at 17:28:59:
I vote for somethign different!

I know, I'm just a lamer who DLs stuff (well, I do work on MiNT, but thats a different game altogether)

Anyway, I tend to agree with you for the fact that you will possess a copy of Game X that has worked, and it will reduce the R0mZ kids from emailing every DBug member asking where to get a working copy of "Poke Suzy in the Butt with the Mouse Cursor" because their's doesn't work.......

Sorry, its been a LONG day with ScummVM lameness.....

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #4 - 08.03.07 at 21:57:45
Print Post  
mouse_master wrote on 08.03.07 at 21:34:41:

Hi mouse_master, I tried scummvm on my 060 falcon last week or so, looked nice Smiley. Any way I could get speech in (for example) dott? Do I need to unpack the sound files (which are in mp3)?

IP Logged

mouse_master
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #5 - 08.03.07 at 22:47:24
Print Post  
ggn wrote on 08.03.07 at 21:57:45:
mouse_master wrote on 08.03.07 at 21:34:41:

Hi mouse_master, I tried scummvm on my 060 falcon last week or so, looked nice Smiley. Any way I could get speech in (for example) dott? Do I need to unpack the sound files (which are in mp3)?

Need to be uncompressed.  I did not include MP3 or OGG support in the ST ScummVM because the poor 060 can't handle.  Adlib is already killing it.  I have been working on an alternative to adlib with using native midi to start and maybe rough YM later, but have had issues there, mostly related to my C++ lameness.....  MP3 in ScummVM is set to use LibMAD, which would be useful if could be ported to run off the DSP, since the DSP can handle MP3 decoding with little help from the main CPU.  Tremor would be the solution to OGG, running on the DSP, it 'should' be possible, but alot of work, and I am learning as I go with most things....  Of course, most of my work (mainly trying to get my midi driver to work) has been put off because they keep adding stuff too fast.....

Anyway, the raw original file works best.  DoTT (and Sam n Max) have some lag in the cut scenes, but are playable.  You can try Flight of the Amazon Queen as well (Full version is a freeware release, about 87 Megs), about the same for the way it runs, about 90% speed when speech/music/graphics are going...

You can bug me in #atariscne (KeithS), I should be in their pestering Patrice over GCC 4.1.2 for MiNT....  Smiley

Sorry for the way off topic BTW  Smiley

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #6 - 09.03.07 at 07:39:10
Print Post  
mouse_master wrote on 08.03.07 at 22:47:24:
Need to be uncompressed.  I did not include MP3 or OGG support in the ST ScummVM because the poor 060 can't handle.  Adlib is already killing it.  I have been working on an alternative to adlib with using native midi to start and maybe rough YM later, but have had issues there, mostly related to my C++ lameness.....  MP3 in ScummVM is set to use LibMAD, which would be useful if could be ported to run off the DSP, since the DSP can handle MP3 decoding with little help from the main CPU.  Tremor would be the solution to OGG, running on the DSP, it 'should' be possible, but alot of work, and I am learning as I go with most things....

Yeah I figured most of these stuff out regarding the processing power needed.

Of course, most of my work (mainly trying to get my midi driver to work) has been put off because they keep adding stuff too fast.....

I know that only too well! My brother is involved in the wince port, and he's up to his a** in work for that damn thing Smiley I can't even count how many times I heard/saw the introductory sequence for DOTT Wink

After seeing all this, my advice is to make the standard lucasarts games work ok, then worry about the rest

Anyway, the raw original file works best.  DoTT (and Sam n Max) have some lag in the cut scenes, but are playable.  You can try Flight of the Amazon Queen as well (Full version is a freeware release, about 87 Megs), about the same for the way it runs, about 90% speed when speech/music/graphics are going...

Yeah, that's what I want mostly of scummvm, Loom/MI/MI2/Dott/The Dig, stuff like that - the good stuff. I tried FOTI some years back and I can't say I liked it. It seems most companies tried to immitate the scumm engine, look and feel, puzzles, humour... no wonder that market dried up pretty quick....

You can bug me in #atariscne (KeithS), I should be in their pestering Patrice over GCC 4.1.2 for MiNT....  Smiley

Smiley

Sorry for the way off topic BTW  Smiley

No worries, at least more people will read this thread and vote Wink
« Last Edit: 09.03.07 at 08:33:09 by ggn »  

IP Logged

mouse_master
RoMzkiddiEz

D-BUGer

Reply #7 - 09.03.07 at 17:34:01
Print Post  
ggn wrote on 09.03.07 at 07:39:10:
I know that only too well! My brother is involved in the wince port, and he's up to his a** in work for that damn thing Smiley I can't even count how many times I heard/saw the introductory sequence for DOTT Wink

After seeing all this, my advice is to make the standard lucasarts games work ok, then worry about the rest

My 'current' goal is to get the Lucas Arts game working well, up to DoTT/SamNMax, The Dig and MI3 are more challenging because the graphics put a huge load on the CPU.  Also, plan on keeping up with the Kyrandia support (plays well also and I have been playing it on the Falcon), Simon the Sorcerer, and Flight of the Amazon Queen, and maybe that Quest for the Orb game.  AGI support is just going to have to wait, and not a big deal because I believe they work on the Falcon natively (<------  ON TOPIC!)  Smiley

Actually, I *think* and I don't remember fr sure now because I have tested so much crap....  I believe some of the ST Scumm games work natively on the falcon, and also run off the HD.  It seems to me Monkey Island and the Indy Last Crusade Adventure will run fine if you copy the files.  And the Sierra AGI games will do the same, except depending on how the .prg was cracked, it may as for a floppy in drive A to verify protection.

As far as testing, my wife can tell you all about the intro to Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and me cursing up a storm because some thing did not work.....

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Already compatible games - what should we do?
Reply #8 - 30.12.08 at 10:43:06
Print Post  
This Topic was moved here from Voting Booth! [move by] ggn.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top