Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
 25 Online games (and whatnot)! (Read 22761 times)
ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Re: Online games (and whatnot)!
Reply #90 - 18.05.10 at 07:52:09
Print Post  
Vehicles

Yikes, the text I was supposed to post got lost because I clicked the wrong button. Oh well...

Basically it's a physics puzzle where you control cars, giving them only start/stop commands to control them, with the objective being to knock off other cars off the screen. Liked the mechanics a lot, and the facial expressions on the cars are very well executed!

As I usually say in this thread, give it a try!

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=49526

vehicles.jpg ( 73 KB | Downloads )
vehicles.jpg

IP Logged

sh3-rg
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

reservoir reboot

Reply #91 - 18.05.10 at 21:47:05
Print Post  
nah, that one bugged me!

IP Logged

robert2098
RoMzkiddiEz

Atari Lover

Reply #92 - 19.05.10 at 07:49:01
Print Post  
Warning, off topic.
Not an online game and still beta.

You remember Battle Chess for the Atari ST?
Replace "Battle" with "Love" and you get this. Cheesy

Robert

« Last Edit: 19.05.10 at 12:00:31 by robert2098 »  

Better 8 hours at work than no sleep at all.
IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #93 - 19.05.10 at 11:52:00
Print Post  
Robert,

Just hit "update session" and you should be able to modify your posts then Smiley

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #94 - 19.05.10 at 11:54:18
Print Post  
robert2098 wrote on 19.05.10 at 07:51:24:
Oops, can't edit the post.

---

Warning, off topic.
Not an online game and still beta.

You remember Battle Chess for the Atari ST?
Replace "Battle" with "Love" and you get this. Cheesy

Robert

So tell me Robert, did that game evolve from f**kvu.prg? Tongue

IP Logged

robert2098
RoMzkiddiEz

Atari Lover

Reply #95 - 21.05.10 at 08:29:14
Print Post  
Quote:
So tell me Robert, did that game evolve from f**kvu.prg? Tongue

Wow, you actually looked at it.
I made that more than 15 years ago as a joke when I was still innocent  Grin
At that time it was so funny that even my dad had to laugh about it.

Robert
« Last Edit: 21.05.10 at 08:29:40 by robert2098 »  

Better 8 hours at work than no sleep at all.
IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #96 - 28.05.10 at 06:07:31
Print Post  
Klikwerk

A short'n'sweet reaction game that uses the most basic mouse actions (point, click, drag) and space. The whole game's synchronized on the music track (mostly a drumbeat) and it gets quite frantic!

I still haven't managed to get to the bonus stage (but then again I played it only 2 times so far!), but I'll keep trying... Smiley

http://www.kongregate.com/games/bontegames/klikwerk

klikwerk.jpg ( 38 KB | Downloads )
klikwerk.jpg

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #97 - 18.06.10 at 17:40:08
Print Post  
Quick Sand

What a pretty game! Guide a small sprite to the exit before the quicksand covers everything! Walljumps and quick action Smiley

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/539093

quicksand.jpg ( 29 KB | Downloads )
quicksand.jpg

IP Logged

simonsunnyboy
Distributor

Rockabilly rulez!

Reply #98 - 23.06.10 at 20:37:59
Print Post  

Rock'n'Roll is the thing - Jerry Lee is the king!

Paradize Website: http://paradize.atari.org/
ST Offline Tournament: http://www.npoi.de/stot/
WWWGTalkICQ  
IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #99 - 24.06.10 at 06:38:58
Print Post  
simonsunnyboy wrote on 23.06.10 at 20:37:59:

After the initial 100ms excitement of abusing this month's meme, you're left with a pretty dull game that everyone has played it in various incarnations. And anyway, what's the problem with vuvuzelas? I love em Smiley

vuvuzela vuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzela
vuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzela
vuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzelavuvuzela

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #100 - 27.06.10 at 09:39:29
Print Post  
Fault line

I was preparing to write a big rant because I chatted with some people over IRC who loathe online games, but it'll have to wait for another time! Instead, here's another one of them.

This one's another bog standard 2D platformer, but with a very innovative twist: The level has "fold" points, and if you drag a line between them (using the mouse) you actually define a "folding" plane. Release the mouse, and that area you defined disappears from the level! So you can shorten high platforms you couldn't reach, temporarily make some obstacles disappear (you can "unfold" any time you wish), etc.

Presentation, as with all Nitrome games, is very nice and pixel-y (none of that rendered or abstract stuff we're used to lately).

http://www.nitrome.com/games/faultline/

P.S. in the 2 screenshots below I demonstrate a "fold": screenshot #1 has me selecting the fold and screenshot #2 shows the playfield after the fold!
« Last Edit: 27.06.10 at 09:41:02 by ggn »  

faultline1.jpg ( 56 KB | Downloads )
faultline1.jpg
faultline2.jpg ( 55 KB | Downloads )
faultline2.jpg

IP Logged

sh3-rg
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

reservoir reboot

Reply #101 - 27.06.10 at 10:03:36
Print Post  
ggn wrote on 27.06.10 at 09:39:29:
I was preparing to write a big rant because I chatted with some people over IRC who loathe online games, but it'll have to wait for another time! Instead, here's another one of them.

Well, heard it all before. You very rarely get people who really know games saying shit like that. It's a casual/elitist/brain-dead auto-response. It's like saying GPU in MAIN is the key to making all good Jaguar games & then producing some half-arsed 8-bit shit with it.

Online games is probably the only real place anything exciting/interesting/challenging/worthy is going on in games. The games industry is so far up it's own arse churning out clone after clone of this, that & the other... online games have taken a step waaaaay back & explored a lot more of what should have happened when everything went 3D & shit in the first place. Fuck retrogaming  & nostalgia - that's not what this is about, but what most people confuse it for.

You can't erect a building & expect it to stand the test of time without firm foundations - much of modern gaming is built on a stack of shite... that's why old 3d games are almost universally SHIT, except a few pioneering/thoughtful ones here & there over many, many years.

There's more fun to be had with online games than 99% of a ps36wii library of games, & it's basically free.

Yep, people who say online games are shit are fuckwits, either blinded by shiny graphics or just empty, hollow shell excuse for human beings with no soul or understanding about what makes games FUN. But there you go, they made a multi-billion dollar industry for those dumb fucks Tongue

There's more fun & innovation linked in this thread than in a year of modern game releases.

My 2p.

ps Fuck you if you think games have to be 3D to be worthy, fuck you if you think the only good games are 2D made before 1987 - you're a dumb cunt either way!

retrogaming is SHIT
modern gaming is SHIT
online gaming is SHIT, with a few nice things here & there!

there you go GGN, I did a rant so you didn't have to Tongue Now go write me some retrogame 3D POS!

EDIT: While I was here, I should have said this: "If you play First Person Shooters, you are the biggest cunt of them all - YOU are the reason modern gaming is SHIT for buying & playing that schoolboy shite. Big FUCK YOU." Tongue
« Last Edit: 27.06.10 at 10:16:19 by sh3-rg »  

IP Logged

simonsunnyboy
Distributor

Rockabilly rulez!

Reply #102 - 27.06.10 at 10:48:36
Print Post  
Interesting points....however has a casual game to be online? A casual game might also be something that I run on my handheld console or phone while on the train to work....

Ofcourse it can also be a nice ST game for those 20minutes in the evening Wink

All i'd say is the "online" tag is not necessary to distinguish a game.....

Just my 2c....

WWWGTalkICQ  
IP Logged

sh3-rg
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

reservoir reboot

Reply #103 - 27.06.10 at 11:04:37
Print Post  
Hey SSB... I've nothing against Casual games, there's lots of fun to be had with simple, easy-to access gaming - many online games are quite casual, some are very deep & really clever. What some people dismiss as 'casual' I often see as refreshing, simple fun.

Only used the 'online' tag as that's where I see a lot of interesting stuff & the point was that many people instantly dismiss flash games etc as being 'crap/retro/basic/boring/2d/etc' when in fact there's loads of great stuff going on... it's not all a load of platform clones & throw-the-hoop-at-the-horse-cock' type stuff.

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #104 - 27.06.10 at 12:28:35
Print Post  
sh3-rg wrote on 27.06.10 at 11:04:37:
Only used the 'online' tag as that's where I see a lot of interesting stuff & the point was that many people instantly dismiss flash games etc as being 'crap/retro/basic/boring/2d/etc' when in fact there's loads of great stuff going on... it's not all a load of platform clones & throw-the-hoop-at-the-horse-cock' type stuff.

That's actually one of the reasons I started this thread anyway - there's a lot of variety and diversity and "anarchy" with indie development, just like the 80s. The internet brought back this thankfully.

During the 90s this almost disappeared because companies stopped accepting to publish indie developers (for example, the game Nitro was mostly programmed before it was presented to Psygnosis. And Worms IIRC. And so many other cases of 80s games). Companies began having full-time teams to churn out games. Now, when you start to scale up, you can't have every 18 year old with some talent in programming producing a game after smoking some pot and then accepting to publish it. But on the other hand, because the people that lead game development in companies are so afraid of losing their jobs that they'll bet on what sells. So, byebye indies.

Enter the internet broadband era, where everyone can host anything for people to download and see. Hooray, indies are back! But, not in the way we knew them from the past. Times have changed. People don't learn low level languages like most people were taught to back then, because there's no real reason (just buy more powerful hardware). Also, there's not a standard platform like the consoles or the home computers were. There's a plethora of tools for online content, and these aren't just Java and Flash. Take a look at Unity for example.

Anyway, point being, just because people have other tools that are not UBER1337 as optimized-to-the-brim assembly or whatever doesn't mean we have to scoff at them. I've witnessed lots of playable games and design ideas from people that have poor or no programming skills and just use game makers to realize their ideas. I've seen people draw pixel graphics that are much better than commercial games. I've seen people introduce new gameplay ideas that would have taken aeons to do with the old toolsets, but take considerably less time using new and more flexible ones.

I do realise that this is being very optimistic and utopic, and indeed you will have to dig through tons and tons of gobshite to find good games. But, heck, tell me 3 platforms that you didn't have to do this! I've been through 8 bit computers, 16 bit computers, a few consoles here and there - it's the same situation really: the turd games factor is always around 90% or more. It's your responsibility to find the good games in any given platform (or you can just keep reading this thread Tongue).

Don't just pass judgment because you saw a couple of games and the flash player was choking or because they were crap to play - you need to devote time to this cause (and while I'm on the subject: to the people that see the games glitch because of flash/java choking on a 3ghz machine saying "even an ST can do that", I can only say "either prove it by writing it yourself or STFU"! Writing games isn't as trivial as having a scrolling background you know. But that's for another post Wink). In my youth I played a lot of games. A lot. Every genre, good or bad, popular or not. And I've played most till the end. Perhaps out of boredom, but mostly because I like playing games. I've played so much shite that I learnt to appreciate good games and to pick them apart from crap or empty shells of games (i.e. all flashy gfx and no gameplay). When I present a game here, I've taken the time to play it for some time and decide if it's up to scratch or not.

So please kind people reading this thread, try not to be such negative xunts and try some games out! (and discover new ones and post them here Smiley)

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #105 - 04.07.10 at 07:28:24
Print Post  
Less ranting, more playing Smiley

Treasure Tower

A single screen of platforms, a main character, some collectibles... you heard this a million times by now I assume? I won't argue, it's sounds boring already! What made this game stand out from the rest for me is that the levels are quite simple (at least to begin with!) so you pick it up and play in seconds, and you're constantly in time attack mode, which means you have to keep moving, no time for thinking ahead of strategies, just charge blindly!

There are two other items, one resets the clock (the time you have is common for all levels) and the other is a switch that opens/closes doors etc.

For a 5-minute break it's simply an amazing game! (well, you start it as a 5-minute break, but then it sucks you in as you want more and more Smiley). 

http://www.clickteam.info/davidn/games/treasuretower/

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #106 - 07.07.10 at 13:20:07
Print Post  
Looming

It's got the same typeface as Loom's Logo! But that's where the similarities between the two games end. Looming is a 2D exploration game, and if you take a look at the screenshot you'll notice that the graphics are in dithered black and white mode. This makes up for some interesting visuals.

The game sets you around a map and doesn't tell you anything much apart from the controls, which are minimal (movement keys, X and C). After that you're on your own. What it boils down to is a trip to find several items and solve a couple of puzzles, including one that's based around a traditional treasure hunting (you must find the hint to go to the next one till you find the last one). There's no real challenge in it or any sense of danger, just sit back, relax, and enjoy the art and scenario.

(dunno if I recommend this or not, I just post this as a bookmark for me Smiley)

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/541333

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #107 - 07.07.10 at 18:59:35
Print Post  
Coma

What a lovely game! 2D flip screen exploration/puzzler like others I've posted on this thread, executed lovely. Lovely audio/visuals, lovely atmosphere, simple but fun gameplay, a couple obscure puzzles but nothing too difficult, and an intriguing scenario (kind of anyway Wink). I liked it a lot!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/541124

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #108 - 16.07.10 at 22:00:33
Print Post  
Space Ninja

Looks like an offspring of Star Guard (the animation even reminds me of that), but it seems it's from another developer. It's definitely taking a lighter approach to the story (nonexistent from what I saw so far), but still the game mechanics are solid, with the addition of wall jumping. Fun!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/542040
« Last Edit: 17.07.10 at 22:44:31 by ggn »  

spaceninja.jpg ( 9 KB | Downloads )
spaceninja.jpg

IP Logged

simonsunnyboy
Distributor

Rockabilly rulez!

Reply #109 - 17.07.10 at 22:05:39
Print Post  
This has a sort of 8bit feeling, in the good old way.

Very playable and addictive game!

WWWGTalkICQ  
IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #110 - 17.07.10 at 22:54:20
Print Post  
Pipol smasher

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Look at me, I'm laughing like a retard! Basically it's the same as "Vehicles" above, but this time you get to run over people. I find it highly entertaining - sort of Karoshi on wheels Smiley

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=51048

pipolsmasher.jpg ( 68 KB | Downloads )
pipolsmasher.jpg

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #111 - 26.07.10 at 17:14:59
Print Post  
Magic Pink Man 1 and 2

Ingredients:

- The original 2600 adventure,
- Blocky graphics,
- Take object x into screen y and give it to z,
- A few battles here and there,
- Twisted humor.

And this is what you get:

2 fun 5-minute wasters Smiley

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/501054
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/526413

IP Logged

sh3-rg
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

reservoir reboot

Reply #112 - 26.07.10 at 17:17:58
Print Post  
brilliant games. fuck 3d bullshit, all we need are a few pixels & some pig killing medals Smiley

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #113 - 26.07.10 at 18:06:05
Print Post  
The illusionist's dream

"Once upon a time there was a great magical performer who entertained crowds with his tricks and illusions.

But when the one he loved died, he stopped performing and lost the will to live...

...until one night he had a dream..."

It's not like games in which the main character can take over the other character's coils and use them and their abilities (Messiah being a prime example). But these games have been far and few.

Also, this one's done exceptionally well: The visuals and audio create a very dreamy atmosphere (job done then). The puzzles aren't very hard, but still I got a feeling of accomplishment when I figured out them. And the most important thing: the game's levels are very tightly coupled with the story - it seems that everything is thought out from the early stages of the design process. The dialogues appear in the levels' empty space, so you don't get bogged down with pages and pages of text, and of course you can ignore them completely if you don't care about the story - but still, you don't lose time skipping text.

That last bit might sound very easy to do and trivial to the casual player, but it really is very tough to get it working so good.

All in all, very interesting. Now, I wonder if Messiah works on W7x64.... Smiley

http://armorgames.com/play/6447/the-illusionists-dream

illusion1.jpg ( 48 KB | Downloads )
illusion1.jpg
illusion2.jpg ( 37 KB | Downloads )
illusion2.jpg

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #114 - 26.07.10 at 18:36:04
Print Post  
Epic coaster

After all the emo crap above, BRING ON THE ONE-BUTTON MADNESS! \o/

Sure, it gets minus points for using "Epic" in the game title, but everything else is good and proper! So go jump those platforms Smiley

http://armorgames.com/play/6450/epic-coaster

epiccoaster.jpg ( 20 KB | Downloads )
epiccoaster.jpg

IP Logged

sh3-rg
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

reservoir reboot

Reply #115 - 26.07.10 at 19:20:28
Print Post  
Didn't like the Johnny Depp animal magic game, but the roller coaster is great fun Smiley PUSH THE BUTTON!

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #116 - 09.08.10 at 20:31:11
Print Post  
Tales of Unspoken world

Take cannabalt, or any one-button jumping platform game, make it first person, display some helluva cool visuals... erm, job done Cheesy. Not much else to say here really, it's download only, but from what I gather it uses the Unity engine, so I'd expect an online version soon!

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=13916.0

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #117 - 10.08.10 at 17:17:25
Print Post  
Color theory

A platformer with fundamentalist graphics, but a nice twist: each time you touch a dot, all platforms with that color disappear. So hit a red and all red ones go away, but hit a purple and both red and blue ones disappear!

That's about it really, the game makes up for some nice puzzles, but it gets waaay too difficult in the end - unnecessary imo really. Still, nice concept!

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/544508

color_theory.jpg ( 16 KB | Downloads )
color_theory.jpg

IP Logged

ggn
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

D-Bug debugger

Reply #118 - 12.08.10 at 16:37:54
Print Post  
Solipskier

Now this is FUN! Instead of you controlling a skier racing against the terrain and performing stunts, you get to draw the terrain for the skier! This might sound boring after a couple of mins, that's why the game introduces goals like a specific area appearing where your guy has to pass through, or perform jumps, or tunnels etc.

Full marks! This is addictive as hell - I'm off to have another go Cheesy

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Mikengreg/solipskier

IP Logged

sh3-rg
D-Bug member
Reboot Member

reservoir reboot

Reply #119 - 14.08.10 at 22:19:04
Print Post  
That. Game. Rules.

IP Logged